Friday, January 18, 2008

Ni Hao!

After AnLi slept all day, we decided to hit the big barbecue buffet they were touting. Well, AnLi and I had watermelon and bread. Brian couldn't even eat hardly anything. Nothing was what you would consider “BBQ”.
During dinner, the waitress thought AnLi was too little to be 3 years old. She hesitated for a while then said, "She more like a bird." I'm not sure what that means?? Of course, everyone knows AnLi lives in Gymboree leggings. That's all she wears and that's all we brought. We were once again chastised for only having ONE pair of pants on her during dinner, this time by the nice little 18 year old waitress.
Where we're staying is in more of the business district, but we ventured out last night and about four blocks away is a big open shopping district. It was beautiful last night! One lady was selling balloons, so we stopped to buy one. Another lady came running up and they started arguing back and forth...extremely loud! At one point AnLi yelled back, "Don't be so bossy!" Needless to say, we left without a balloon. I think they were yelling over the price, but we really have no idea.










The “stares” have been unbelievable! I don't know if we're just more aware this time or what the difference is, but it's quite overwhelming. Everyone stops to talk to AnLi. Last night she just quit answering everyone's relentless questions of: “What's your name?” “How old are you?” “Where are you from?” …on and on! AnLi just started saying to everyone,” Ni Hao!” (“Hello” in Chinese). People would just laugh…she learned that was the easiest way to get people to stop asking questions. ; )
Today we have a tour of Old Town. We don't know what time we meet Carli tomorrow yet, but we'll be sure to let everyone know. Thanks for following along!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they are staring because you are a very nice looking family. Love you guys and take care.

My Ming Mei said...

Maizie got very tired of the stares quickly also. Good Luck tomorrow. I will be watching.