Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Update on Carli
As most know, Monday Carli had surgery to have a spinal cord untethering and also get new ear tubes. The surgery went as planned. They said it was really tight and had created a little scoliosis from the first MRIs in April, so it's a really good thing we did this when we did. She has to be on her side or tummy for three days. She can't get up AT ALL!
She's just generally uncomfortable. And finding things to keep a 4-year-old occupied while only on her side is a little challenging. Nights are the worst. She just doesn't sleep well because she's got a lot of pain and just can't get comfortable. I know she's very confused as to why this is happening. The first day she would cry off and on "You don't love me", yesterday it was "Mommy's mean!" I'm not scoring any brownie points with my usually sweet girl. She doesn't want anyone to touch her anymore. She's just downright sick of the nurses poking and prodding her. Today will be day three. We'll probably read a million books and watch "Beauty and the Beast" for the 80th time. :) I'm thinking we'll get to come home Thursday...hopefully! And then it will be limited activity for a while. The poor thing has just been through so many tests and poking and prodding in the last 18 months. This is the FINAL thing, and it was a big one.
We had explained to the girls that Carli was going to the hospital, AnLi would be going to Nana and Papa's because she's not allowed at the hospital, and that after a few days we would all be together as a family again. So, over the weekend they had lots of conversations about this between the two of them. On Sunday night I had to wash Carli with an antiseptic wash. AnLi started asking questions. So, as best I could, in 5-year-old language, I tried to explain what they would be doing to Carli. AnLi started wailing, then Carli started, and so those two, in my arms, nose to nose, sat and cried and cried. It was so sad to see.
On Monday AnLi was very anxious about the surgery and Carli kept saying "I miss my sissy." Right after the surgery, we called AnLi to tell her everything was good and Carli was fine. She wanted to talk to Carli. Those two talked on the phone for a good 15 minutes. It brought tears to my eyes to think about how strong a bond they have for each other. They talked again later that night and then also yesterday. When I call to talk to AnLi, she says, "Hi, Mom. Can I talk to Carli?" We are all anxious to get home and get our family back in one spot. Carli will have a rough couple of weeks, I'm sure, but she'll have Nurse AnLi to help her out. :)
Thanks for all of the well wishes and prayers for Carli and our family. We are always amazed at the outpouring of support for our family.
Posted by
GGAdventures
at
7:13 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















5 comments:
Oh, Kayla....how did I not know this? I am sorry! I am glad to hear the surgery is behind her now and that she is on the road to recovery. I can only imagine how hard it is to keep her from not getting up for such a long period of time! : (
That is sooooo sweet how the girls talk to each other on the phone. I know just what you mean....my girls are lost without the other!
When you get a chance, can you send me your address so that we can send Carli a card in the mail?
take care!
Michelle
OH, I am sooooo sorry you are all going through this! What a sweet sisterly love they have. It is so hard when they are little and don't understand why something is happening. Thinking of you guys!
Poor Carli :( We'd love to send her a postcard from Australia so please send your address to my email funstampin@aol.com
So sweet that the girls are so close, as a mom I know that is about the best gift!
Hugs :)
ellie
Kayla-so sorry to hear about this! It sounds like she is doing well and that makes me so happy =) Love to all of you! Heather
Oh my goodness, how did I miss this? I'm so glad that everything went as smoothly as planned. Your description of the two sisters crying together the night before Carli's surgery brought tears to my eyes!
Post a Comment